You can find the latest news on the project on www.stevin.be, 'LAATSTE NIEUWS'
The Stevin project aims to upgrade the electricity grid between Zomergem and Zeebrugge. The project consists of the following main components:
- the laying of a double 380-kV high-voltage line between Zomergem and Zeebrugge, some of it overhead and some of it underground;
- the construction of a new high-voltage substation in Zeebrugge, which will convert electricity from 380 kV to other voltage levels;
- the construction of two new transition stations in Bruges and Damme where there is the transition from underground to overhead facilities.
A new high-voltage substation will also be built in Zomergem (see Horta project).
The Stevin project fulfils the four main requirements of our electricity grid:
- It enables wind power to be brought from offshore wind farms to the mainland, and to be transported throughout the country.
- It is necessary in order to create a further interconnection for the Belgian grid via a subsea connection to the United Kingdom.
- This extension of the 380-kV grid shores up electricity supply considerably in West Flanders and will facilitate further economic development in the strategically important growth area in and around the port of Zeebrugge.
- It enables additional decentralised electricity generation in the coastal region (wind and solar power, and other forms of sustainable energy) to be connected to the grid.
Want to know more about what the Stevin project is designed to achieve? Visit for further information.
The Stevin project is designed to upgrade the high-voltage grid between Zomergem and Zeebrugge.
The work includes:
laying a double high-voltage 380-kV connection over a 47-km stretch, some of it underground and some of it overhead;
- building three high-voltage substations in Zeebrugge, De Spie and Vivenkapelle;
- dismantling the existing 150-kV connections and laying them underground.
We are reinforcing the existing high-voltage grid in West and East Flanders so that greater quantities of electricity can be transported from the coast inland. We are also installing new overhead and underground connections, and dismantling 53 km of old lines which will be replaced by a 35-km underground system once the new connections are operational.
Want to know more about Stevin project ? Visit for more information.
Upgrading the high-voltage grid between Zomergem and Zeebrugge entails ten sub-projects. The first eight deal with the construction of the Stevin route. The final two consist of dismantling the two current high-voltage lines, which will ultimately become redundant. The northerly overhead 150-kV line will be dismantled first. We will then dismantle the southerly 150-kV line once the new underground connection between Eeklo and Bruges becomes operational:
Want to know more about the Stevin project? Then visit www.stevin.be where you will find more information about the ten sub-projects, the purpose of the Stevin project, electromagnetic fields, special landscaping and the permits required.
You can also sign up for the electronic newsletter providing regular updates on the project’s progress (in Dutch):
- via e-mail: email@example.com
- by phone: 0800 11 089 (during working hours)