Proposal Federal Grid Code and General Requirements
Implementation of EU network codes in the belgian context – Elia's proposal for a modified federal grid code
The Third Energy Package – i.e. the European legislation currently in force – introduced the EU network codes, developed by the European Commission, the Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER) and the European Network of Transmission System Operators (ENTSO-E), with a view to further developing and enhancing the European electricity market. Eight electricity network codes and guidelines have been adopted at European level since 2014. In Belgium, the provisions of these European network codes have been partially translated into the Federal Grid Code, which is now being extensively revised for the first time since 2002.
In 2015, the Belgian Federal Public Service (FPS) responsible for energy (specifically the FPS Economy's DG Energy) chose the Elia Users' Group as the forum for consulting with the market players and regulators regarding the implementation of these network codes in the Belgian context. Stakeholders were able to share their views on and react formally to proposed amendments to the Federal Grid Code and the general requirements for grid connection in various meetings and workshops. More information about the process and consultation is available on the Elia website. Please refer in this regard to the 'Task Force Implementation Network Codes' and 'Workshops "Federal Grid Code and General Requirements"' pages.
After two years of intensive discussions with the market players, Elia has drafted a final proposal for the revision of the Federal Grid Code. On 17 May 2018, in accordance with the requirements of the EU network codes and guidelines and also the suggested timetable set out by the FPS Economy's DG Energy, Elia officially submitted the following final proposals to the competent authorities:
- Proposal for a modified Federal Grid Code
- Proposal for general requirements for grid connection of generators (RfG)
- Proposal for general requirements for Demand Connection (DCC)
- Proposal for general requirements for grid connection of high-voltage direct-current systems and direct current-connected power park modules (HVDC)
- Proposal for general requirements for storage connections (only available in English: clean and with track changes made after public consultation). Please note that the EU network codes does not give rise to any statutory obligation relating to the following specific requirements but Elia decided on its own initiative to draw up these technical requirements in parallel with the above proposals for general requirements.
- Proposal for maximum capacity thresholds for types B, C, D of power-generating modules as defined in Article 5(3) of Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/631 establishing a network code on requirements for grid connection of generators (RfG)
The above-mentioned proposals have been the subject of extensive, public consultations. The consultation for the proposal for a modified Federal Grid Code and the general requirements ran from 15 March until 23 April 2018 inclusive. More information about these public consultations can be found on the Elia website.
Below you will find the consultation report for these public consultations, as well as the non-confidential contributions and responses of the various market players:
If you have any questions regarding these proposals, feel free to send us an email (email@example.com).