System Operation & European Market Design Working Group
This working group deals with the operation of the high-voltage grid, capacity calculation and European electricity market integration.
What does the System Operation & European Market Design Working Group do?
These changes will have a substantial impact on European market design and on core aspects of system operation.
Cooperation with market parties
In circumstances like these, the system is largely dependent on grid users’ behaviour and response. It is therefore vital that grid users and system operators share their vision with one another and devise appropriate technical specifications to ensure system security.
Joint positions, shared knowledge
- adopt a single position on initiatives and developments relating to European market design. Given the cross-border nature of these European projects, the working group seeks to establish a joint Belgian position;
- share their opinions on aspects of system operation. By doing so, they come to know and understand one another’s needs, which helps them to produce appropriate technical specifications to ensure grid security.
The System Operation & European Market Design Working Group meets four to five times a year and reports directly to the plenary meeting.
Administrative duties for this working group are handled by:
- Chairmen: James Matthys-Donnadieu and Filip Carton
- Secretary: Thomas Van Den Broucke
Within the framework of Article 16 of Regulation (EU) 2019/943 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 June 2019 on the internal market for electricity (recast), also known as the Clean Energy Package 70% rule (CEP70), TSOs can submit a request for derogation. When granted a derogation, the TSOs have to subsequently publish a report detailing the methodology and projects that shall provide a long-term solution to the operational security risks forming the foreseeable grounds of the derogation.
- Derogation granted to Elia for 2022
- Report on methodology and projects in relation to the derogation for 2022
- Derogation granted to Elia for 2021
- Report on methodology and projects in relation to the derogation for 2021
- Derogation granted to Elia for 2020
- Report on methodology and projects in relation to the derogation for 2020