Training/coaching and tests for contractors employees
Elia training/coaching sessions ensure that all contractors’ employees working on or near Elia facilities receive the proper, necessary safety information.
Why do contractors’ employees need to be certified?
Operator or work leader?
Registration requirementsContractors’ employees must submit two documents in order to register as operators or work leaders (see the relevant sections for more information). These documents are as follows: a BA4 or BA5 declaration of competence or codification document and a high-quality photograph. The documents should be uploaded when registering online, as explained below.
BA4/BA5 declaration of competence or codification document
By issuing BA4/BA5 declarations of competence, employers confirm that their employees have the necessary qualifications to work in or near an electrical facility.
Access to electrical facilities is only granted to employees who have the necessary capacities, as attested by the award of BA4 (aware) or BA5 (skilled) status.
Employees are awarded BA4 (aware) or BA5 (skilled) status based on their abilities. Their employer determines which status applies to them.
A BA4/BA5 declaration of competence must include the following information:
- The name of the company
- The employee’s name
- Whether the employee holds BA4 or BA5 status
- The type(s) of work to which the declaration applies
- The type(s) of electrical facility to which the declaration applies
- Details of the training undertaken and/or experience gained by the employee and serving as a basis for the award of BA4 or BA5 status
- The date of issue of the declaration
- The validity period of the declaration
- The employer’s/a manager’s signature
During a project, when the workleader must accompany people or deliveries, it must be BA5.
2. Name of the person for whom the declaration was issued. NB: We need to have one declaration of competence per person.
3. Employer or employer’s representative
4. Name of the person for whom the declaration was issued.
5. Indicate this clearly: cross out the status that does not apply, circle the status that does apply, etc.
6. Examples: painting, digging cable trenches, roof work, assembly work, assembling and dismantling scaffolding, pruning vegetation, laying concrete foundations, inspecting facilities, laying raised access flooring, earthworks, connecting energy components (batteries, capacitors), removing asbestos, etc.
7. For instance: transformers, near high-voltage lines, relay rooms, roofs, on public land, high-voltage substations, lighting systems, low-voltage panels, cabinets, etc., specifying the voltage level is possible. Please note that if you only write “Tielt 150 kV substation”, the declaration will only be valid for Tielt and not for any other HV substations!
8. For example: subject to medical fitness; if there are any doubts regarding safety, work is to be suspended and a manager is to be notified; instructions issued by Elia staff are to be followed carefully; and so on.
9. Elia certificates are valid for two years. However, if the validity period of this declaration does not cover the full two-year period, the certificate’s validity period will be affected. The employer may suspend the declaration’s validity at any time if the employee no longer meets the conditions required to hold BA4/BA5 status.
10. Training undertaken or qualification(s) held by the person, on the basis of which the employer has issued the declaration. For instance, this could be the person’s studies and/or the training courses they have taken, or their experience.
11. Date and name + signature of the employer or the employer’s representative.
The photo is used to verify the employee’s identity when they request access to an Elia facility.
It must meet the following criteria:
How to register
- your own pen or pencil;
- your identity card or, if you are not Belgian, your passport;
- confirmation of your registration;
- a face mask, which you must wear at all times on the Elia site.
Furthermore, it is extremely important that you:
- keep a safe social distance from all other people on the site;
- disinfect your hands regularly, as indicated on the site;
- not attend if you feel unwell or have symptoms of COVID-19;
- leave the building and site immediately after your test or training/coaching session.
If your company is not listed in our system or if some of the information there is inaccurate, email the relevant information (name, address, VAT number and phone number) to EliaAcademy@elia.be so that we can add your company to our system or update your company’s information.
If you have any questions, have a look at our.