Dismantling of the 150-kV overhead line (UL217)
The dismantling of the existing 150-kV line connecting the Awirs electrical substation to that of Rimière is part of the overall project to restructure the Liège high-voltage grid.
Benefits to society
Given the changing needs of the economic sector in the region, combined with the increase in renewable energy generation sources, a significant redevelopment of the high-voltage grid in Liège is necessary in order to continue to meet the needs of society and face future energy challenges.
As the Awirs-Rimière 150-kV line is reaching the end of its life, its dismantling is made possible thanks to the completion of major projects to restructure the Elia grid in the region.
Built in 1951, the Awirs-Rimière 150-kV line connects the Awirs electrical substation located in Flémalle to that of Rimière, in the municipality of Neupré.
This line crosses the municipalities of Flémalle, Engis and Neupré and is 5.9 km in length. It consists of 19 metal lattice pylons (one of which has already been dismantled).
Three pylons located within the Rimière electrical substation will also be dismantled.
EnvironmentAs a socially responsible company, Elia is very committed to environmental issues. It actively contributes to the energy transition and pays particular attention to safeguarding biodiversity. It also develops its grid while establishing close collaborations with local authorities, local residents and all local partners involved in its infrastructure projects.
Elia pays particular attention to the proper execution of its projects and to the environment in which the works are carried out. Procedures are put in place for each stage, thus limiting the impact on fauna, flora, mobility and for local residents.
It is planned that the works will move from the Awirs substation (Flémalle) to the Rimière substation (Neupré). The initial works (dismantling of electrical conductors) will begin in March 2022 and will be completed during the first half of this year (subject to any events beyond Elia’s control).
The pylons will be dismantled and removed at a later date. A communication will announce the start of the works phase.
A dismantling project takes place in several stages:
- Pruning as required - At certain points along the route, pruning may be necessary to facilitate access for site machinery. This is carried out in consultation with the owners and operators of the land concerned.
- Creation of access roads - After a survey of the area carried out by Elia together with the owners/operators of the land concerned, temporary access roads are built for the intermittent traffic needed to carry out the work.
- Dismantling of the conductors - The conductors are removed section by section and immediately respooled using pulling and braking machines.
- Dismantling of the pylons - The pylons are dismantled and the materials are removed by HGVs.
- Removal of the foundations - The pylon foundations are removed from the ground and removed by HGVs.
- Restoration - As soon as the project is finished, the temporary access roads are dismantled and the land is restored to its former condition. All waste from the site is collected and taken to the appropriate facilities. A final survey of the exit areas is then carried out.
The progress of the work depends on the weather conditions, access possibilities, obtaining local authorizations, etc.
Local residents will be contacted and informed based on the progress of the site.
Interactive mapTo precisely locate the line to be dismantled, please consult the following:
06 December 2022
Further dismantling work
Last February, work began on dismantling the line between the Awirs (Flémalle) and Rimière (Neupré) substations.
Now that all electrical conductors have been dismantled, the last step, namely the dismantling of the pylons and their foundations, can begin.
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.