Restructuring and reorganising the grid in the Province of Liège: the six projects being carried out in the Seraing area all aim to upgrade the local grid.
A project designed to optimise the meshing of the regional grid
In the light of the Province of Liège's socioeconomic development and the ensuing growth in its electricity needs, Elia is upgrading its infrastructure in the Province so it can continue ensuring the reliability of its network and security of supply – all while integrating renewable energies to a significant extent in the energy mix.
Two projects in Seraing itself
- Reorganising injections into the medium-voltage grid at the Seraing substation
- Reorganising 70 kV injection at Seraing/Tilleur
The project to reorganise local injection into the medium-voltage grid was successfully completed in June 2019.
The project to upgrade the 70 k V Seraing/Tilleur injection facilities is coming to an end, following the successful commissioning in June. The finishing work currently under way will be completed by the end of 2020.
Two projects in Sart-TilmanElia plans to upgrade the grid by:
Work on these projects began in February 2019 and is scheduled for completion in 2020.
- Installing a new 220/70 kV step-down transformer in the existing HV substation at Sart-Tilman;
- Building a transition substation and installing an underground cable to interconnect the existing 220 kV line and the new transformer at the Sart-Tilman substation.
Two projects in Ougrée
Here, the aim is to streamline the infrastructure by:
- dismantling the electrical facilities in the existing substation at Ougrée. To this end, a new pylon will have to be erected to interconnect the overhead line in Tilleur to its counterpart in Sart-Tilman;
- dismantling a 70 kV overhead line connecting Ougrée to Sart-Tilman.
The other existing lines in the region will not be affected by the project.
Now that the relevant permits have been secured, these projects will kick off in summer 2020 and end in 2021.
EnvironmentAs a responsible company, Elia is deeply committed to the environment and intends to make a positive contribution to the energy transition by focusing on biodiversity, local residents, local partners and stakeholders when developing our grid.
Elia makes every effort to lessen its impact on the environment and integrate its facilities harmoniously into the local landscape.
We are aware that our infrastructure work may affect local residents and the environment. That is why we make every effort to limit their potential impact as far as possible.
08 July 2020
220 kV underground cable successfully installed
08 July 2020
Sart-Tilman-Ougrée: Dismantling the 70 kV line
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.