07 January 2022
Belgium’s 2021 electricity mix
Record number of exports due to slight increase in production of renewable energy and a stable nuclear fleet.
Facts and figures
- The production of wind and solar energy increased slightly in 2021 (2%), setting new records, while offshore wind production remained stable;
- 21 May: records broken with regard to wind and solar generation (6420 MW);
- High amounts of nuclear power generation (representing 52.4% of the Belgian electricity mix) caused gas-fired generation to decrease and exports to increase;
- Record-breaking exports increased by 59% in comparison with 2020;
- Cross-border trading increased for the fifth year in a row;
- Consumption levels gradually returned to normal;
- Average monthly price per MWh on the day-ahead market reached historic highs.