Installation of new underground electricity cables to supply energy to the Bruges area
New 36 kV double cable connection to replace the existing cable
System operator Elia is planning work in the area around Sijsele so that security of supply will continue to be guaranteed. The project involves laying a new underground 36 kV double cable between Bruges and Sijsele. Sijsele is currently supplied with power by two separate cables from Eeklo and Bruges. The new 36 kV underground cable is a double connection that will replace the two separate cables.
In the interest of societyElia is planning to lay new 36-kV underground cables between Bruges and Sijsele. The existing cables date from 1937 and have reached the end of their service lives. This project will allow Elia to continue guaranteeing the security of supply in the Bruges area in the future. Once work is complete, the current outdated connection will be decommissioned.
The new 36-kV underground cables will be laid between the existing substations in Bruges and Sijsele. The cable connection is around eight kilometres long and runs along Altebijstraat, Maalse Steenweg (N9), Vossenberg, Rijckeveldestraat and Kerkweg. Thanks to earlier modifications to the grid and by laying two electricity cables at the same time, Elia can replace the existing 31-kilometre-long connection between Bruges and Eeklo with a shorter underground cable.
Whenever it is carrying out work, Elia always takes a number of measures to minimise disruption.
- The work is being performed in nine phases, each involving a section measuring between 500 and 800 metres. This will limit the duration and scale of the impact on the surrounding area.
- Homes and businesses will remain accessible at all times while work is under way. Should circumstances mean that they are temporarily inaccessible, however, this will be announced in advance.
- An Elia accessibility advisor will contact businesses to provide further details regarding their accessibility during the work.
- Site signs on the road will inform road users about the start and end dates of the work and any possible diversions.
- Letters will be sent to local residents and businesses, informing them about accessibility and any traffic diversions.
- Elia will regularly email updates about the work. Sign up for the Bruges-Sijsele project's digital newsletter here.
- Elia always prioritises the safety of employees and local residents and an uninterrupted electricity supply when it organises its sites.
Elia conducted a detailed study of the cable route in spring 2018. At the start of the permit process in June 2018, Elia organised an information session for local residents and businesses along the route. Elia will start laying the new underground electricity cables in March 2020. This work will be performed in nine phases to limit the duration and scale of the impact on the surrounding area. Work is expected to continue until April 2021.
03 March 2020
Two information sessions organised regarding the start of the work
01 June 2019
Elia submits permit application for work on high-voltage cable between Bruges and Sijsele
Elia is set to replace the old HV cable between Bruges and Sijsele with a new double 36-kV underground cable connection.
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.