Laying an underground cable connection between Ixelles and Hoeilaart
Merging three existing cables
Elia is laying a new underground cable connection between the high-voltage substations in Ixelles and Hoeilaart. This new connection merges the three existing cables – which have reached the end of their service lives – and replaces them with one new cable. This work will guarantee the area’s security of supply.
In the interest of society
A new underground cable connection is necessary for three reasons:
- The existing cables have reached the end of their service lives. Elia will eventually be able to decommission these cables thanks to the new cable connection.
- Elia is merging three existing cables and replacing them with one new cable connection with a view to preventing the fragmentation of the existing grid in the area and minimising the impact on the surrounding area.
- Elia is replacing the outdated cables with a new, more reliable cable connection in order to guarantee the area’s security of supply.
The new cable connection will cross the municipalities of Ixelles, Watermael-Boitsfort and Hoeilaart.
Elia strives to make clear arrangements to minimise the impact of its work on the surrounding area. These arrangements will be checked regularly by a site supervisor.
- Elia will consult with utility companies and the Flemish Agency for Roads and Traffic (AWV) and carry out its work in synergy with theirs.
- Elia will work in phases to limit the duration and scale of the impact on the surrounding area.
- Homes and businesses will remain accessible while the work is under way. If driveways need to be closed off temporarily, the contractor will contact those affected beforehand.
- Any diversions will be discussed with the relevant authorities and announced to local residents in advance.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to pass the worksites safely at all times.
- Once work is complete, the worksites will be restored to their original state.
- September 2019 – August 2020: Laying of 36 kV cable on Avenue Emile Van Becelaere in Watermael-Boitsfort, in synergy with Vivaqua.
- September 2019 – August 2020: Laying of cable along route between Hoeilaart and the Sonian Forest.
- To be determined: Laying of cable along route between Watermael-Boitsfort and the Sonian Forest.
21 November 2019
Temporary change in traffic rules in Fernaasstraat, Palokerstraat and Serristenweg in Hoeilaart
01 July 2019
Elia informs Hoeilaart residents about works in their area
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.