Laying an underground cable connection between Ixelles and Hoeilaart
Merging three existing cables
Elia is laying a new underground cable connection between the high-voltage substations in Ixelles and Hoeilaart. This new connection merges the three existing cables – which have reached the end of their service lives – and replaces them with one new cable. This work will guarantee the area’s security of supply.
In the interest of society
A new underground cable connection is necessary for three reasons:
- The existing cables have reached the end of their service lives. Elia will eventually be able to decommission these cables thanks to the new cable connection.
- Elia is merging three existing cables and replacing them with one new cable connection with a view to preventing the fragmentation of the existing grid in the area and minimising the impact on the surrounding area.
- Elia is replacing the outdated cables with a new, more reliable cable connection in order to guarantee the area’s security of supply.
The new cable connection will cross the municipalities of Ixelles, Watermael-Boitsfort and Hoeilaart.
Elia strives to make clear arrangements to minimise the impact of its work on the surrounding area. These arrangements will be checked regularly by a site supervisor.
- Elia will consult with utility companies and the Flemish Agency for Roads and Traffic (AWV) and carry out its work in synergy with theirs.
- Elia will work in phases to limit the duration and scale of the impact on the surrounding area.
- Homes and businesses will remain accessible while the work is under way. If driveways need to be closed off temporarily, the contractor will contact those affected beforehand.
- Any diversions will be discussed with the relevant authorities and announced to local residents in advance.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to pass the worksites safely at all times.
- Once work is complete, the worksites will be restored to their original state.
- September 2019 – August 2020: Laying of 36 kV cable on Avenue Emile Van Becelaere in Watermael-Boitsfort, in synergy with Vivaqua.
- September 2019 – August 2020: Laying of cable along route between Hoeilaart and the Sonian Forest.
- To be determined: Laying of cable along route between Watermael-Boitsfort and the Sonian Forest.
01 June 2019
Elia organises information session in Hoeilaart on 20 June 2019
Elia will soon begin laying a new underground cable connection between Ixelles (Elsene) and Hoeilaart.
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.