New underground cables between the Herentals high-voltage substation and the Heze high-voltage substation in Geel with an additional connection to the Umicore site in Olen
New underground cables are needed to continue to guarantee a reliable power supply to the region
Elia is planning to lay new 150-kV underground cables in Herentals, Olen and Geel.
In the interest of society
Elia is planning to lay new 150-kV underground cables in Herentals, Olen and Geel, to enable an expansion and restructuring of the electricity grid. This is necessary to prepare the grid for increasing energy demand in the area. The project will allow Elia to continue guaranteeing a reliable electricity supply for businesses and households in the region in the future.
The 150-kV underground cables will be laid between the high-voltage substation in Herentals and the Heze high-voltage substation in Geel. The approximately 11-kilometre route runs through the municipality of Olen and the cities of Herentals and Geel. Elia is also planning an additional cable connection to the Umicore site in Olen from the Herentals high-voltage substation, a total distance of one kilometre. The routes of both underground cables were established in dialogue with the municipal and city authorities concerned. The work will take place in phases.
Why was this route chosen?
Elia always looks for routes that have the least possible impact on the surrounding area and local residents. This is always done in consultation with the relevant government departments. Various routes were examined for the Herentals-Heze project:
- Routing the line via the Albert Canal is not possible because laying cables in the towpath could hinder future work on the canal.
- Laying high-voltage cables in existing pipeline channels is not safe because other infrastructure cables are also located there.
- The cables cannot be laid under Herentalseweg and Geelseweg (N13) because this regional road was recently completely renovated.
Accordingly, an alternative route through Herentals, Olen and Geel was sought. The underground cable will be laid almost exclusively in public land (for example under streets). When laying cables, existing infrastructure lines are taken into account, a sufficient distance from homes is maintained and guidelines on magnetic fields are respected. The proposed route was selected in consultation with the municipal services of the towns involved.
EnvironmentElia is always mindful of the local area when carrying out work. The high-voltage system operator takes a range of measures intended to minimise disruption and impact on the surrounding area.
- Work only takes place during the day, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Elia guarantees that homes and business will remain accessible at all times while the work is under way.
- If local residents are set to experience a temporary increase in disruption for a specific reason, Elia or its subcontractor(s) will individually notify those affected.
- If normal traffic has to be diverted, the diversions will be agreed with the road authority and clearly communicated to local residents.
- Once work is complete, the land is always restored to its original state.
- June 2020: Public consultation as part of the environmental permit application
- February 2021: Start of the work
- June 2022: End of the work
07 June 2021
Phase 4: conduits laid in Spendijk
Elia is laying 150-kV underground cables between Geel and Herentals. Starting in June, work will continue as conduits are laid in Spendijk. This will take about two weeks.
02 June 2021
Road restoration work begins at Vogelzang, Steenovens, Buurtweg 43 and by the McDonalds
On 25 May Elia will start restoring the road surface following the installation of underground high-voltage cables.
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.