Dismantling an overhead line
Dismantling the Sint-Niklaas overhead line
In mid-July 2020, Elia will begin dismantling the Sint-Niklaas 70kV overhead line. Wires will be removed over a distance of three kilometres and Elia will dismantle 20 high-voltage pylons.
In the interest of society
- Elia has already worked on the Sint-Niklaas high-voltage substation in recent years, making it possible to now dismantle a 70kV overhead line in Sint-Niklaas. Originally installed back in 1924, the line has reached the end of its service line and will be decommissioned. Electricity supply to the area will continue being provided via a different overhead line (150kV) that had previously been serviced. This existing line, running along the N41 dual carriageway, connects the Sint-Niklaas high-voltage substation with the Heimolen high-voltage substation.
Elia is dismantling a 70kV overhead line in Sint-Niklaas. The route starts at the Sint-Niklaas high-voltage substation in Knaptandstraat. The overhead line will be dismantled up to the branch with another 70kV overhead line running towards Schelle. This branch is located near the E17 motorway.
All wires will be removed over a distance of three kilometres and 20 high-voltage pylons dismantled. Elia has made clear arrangements to minimise the impact of its work on the environment. These arrangements will be checked regularly by a site supervisor.
- Elia will work in phases to limit the duration and scale of the impact on the surrounding area.
- Homes and businesses will remain accessible at all times while the work is under way.
- Work will not be performed during the night, so there will be no depots or sites lit up at night-time.
- Site vehicles will use the shortest, safest and most accessible routes.
- Possible diversions will be discussed with the relevant authorities and announced to local residents in advance.
- Workers will use wooden fames/gantries or cranes when removing the electric wires in order to minimise the impact of the project on the surrounding area and local residents.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to pass the worksites safely at all times.
- Once work is complete, the worksites will be restored to their original state.
The electric wires will be removed and the high-voltage pylons dismantled in three phases.
- Mid-July to mid-August 2020: Preparatory work (installation of frames/gantries).
- Mid-August to mid-September 2020: Roll-up and removal of electric wires.
- Autumn 2020 to spring 2021: Dismantling of high-voltage pylons.
09 September 2020
Dismantling of high-voltage line E17 in SintNiklaas completely closed for one night
09 September 2020
Work begins on dismantling the high-voltage line on Kiemerstraat in Sint-Niklaas
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.