Task Force CRM
Market parties can discuss the development of the capacity remuneration mechanism (CRM) with the CRM Task Force.
What is the CRM?
The introduction of a capacity remuneration mechanism for the Belgian market is part of the federal government’s energy strategy, which lays out a number of new measures designed to guarantee Belgium’s security of supply in the long term.
The federal government decided to incorporate provisions for the creation of a capacity remuneration mechanism (CRM) into the Act of 29 April 1999 on the Organisation of the Electricity Market (‘the Electricity Act’).
In 2018, a working group – consisting of representatives from the office of Federal Energy Minister Marghem, the Federal Public Service Economy – DG Energy, the federal regulator CREG and Elia – produced a law proposal on the capacity remuneration mechanism. The law proposal was debated and adopted on 4 April 2019 and is published in the Belgian Official Gazette on 22 April 2019 (Dutch version – French version).
A CRM Task Force was created to discuss the design principles of a CRM with the market parties.
Information and documentation related to the Capacity Remuneration Mechanism to be put in place on the Belgian market is made available on this page.
2019Within the framework of the design and implementation of a Belgian CRM as foreseen by the law of 4 April 2019 modifying the Electricity Law, Elia drafted design notes which were publicly consulted upon in September/October 2019.
2020Elia updated the initial design notes taken into account the feedback received from stakeholders during the public consultation and as described in the above consultation report. The design reflected in these updated design notes corresponds to the design described by Elia in the draft market rules and draft royal decree on the methodology as published end of 2019.
2021At the end of 2020, Elia organised a public consultation on the CRM capacity contract. The updated version has been submitted for approval to the regulator on February 5th, 2021.
2020In order to have a better understanding of the proposed design, Elia drafted a document with some full-cycle use cases for different kind of capacities and time schedules, which was presented during the TF CRM meeting of February 6th 2020. Answers on feedback received from market parties after this meeting are summarized in the “Q&A” document.
Several public consultations are held within the framework of the design and implementation of a Belgian CRM as foreseen by the law of 4 April 2019 modifying the Electricity Law and published in the Belgian Official Gazette on 22 April 2019 (“CRM Law”) (– ). Links towards these consultations are provided below :
- Elia - Formal public consultation on the CRM design notes (Part I) [13.09.2019-11.10.2019]
- CREG – Public Consultation on Investment Thresholds and Eligibility Criteria [01.10.2019 – 21.10.2019] (Dutch version – French version)
- Elia - Formal public consultation on the CRM design notes (Part II) [02.10.2019-30.10.2019]
- CREG – Public consultation on the parameters determining the amount of capacity procured in the capacity mechanism [22.11.2019 – 06.12.2019] (Dutch version – French version)
- CREG - Public consultation on the draft proposal on the parameters for determining the amount of capacity purchased under the capacity mechanism [13.03.2020 – 20.03.2020] (Dutch version – French version)
- FPS Economy - Public consultation on the methodology defining the parameters for determining the amount of capacity purchased under the capacity mechanism [23.03.2020 – 27.03.2020] (Dutch version – French version)
- Elia - Public consultation on the scenarios, sensitivities and data for the CRM parameter calculation for the Y-4 Auction for Delivery Period 2025-2026 related to the CRM [05.05.2020 – 05.06.2020]
- CREG - Public consultation on draft proposal 2086 on Gross Cost of New Entrant and Correction Factor X [01.07.2020-13.07.2020] (Dutch version – French version)
- CREG - Draft decision on the guidelines specifying the conditions for the eligible investment costs [30.10.2020 – 20.11.2020] (Dutch version – French version)
- CREG - Complementary proposal to proposal (C)1907 for a Royal Decree laying down the investment thresholds and the eligibility criteria for investment costs with a view to classifying capacities in capacity categories [30.10.2020 – 20.11.2020] (Dutch version – French version)
- CREG - Public consultation on the proposed functioning rules of the capacity remuneration mechanism, as submitted for approval to the CREG by Elia Transmission Belgium [27.11.2020 – 08.01.2021] ( – )
- FPS Economy - Public consultation on a methodology to obtain an individual derogation of the intermediate price cap [02.02.2021 – 14.02.2021] (Dutch version – French version)
- CREG – Consultation note outlining changes made or to be made to the Proposal for the functioning rules of the capacity remuneration mechanism drafted by Elia Transmission Belgium SA [30.04.2021 – 07.05.2021] ( Dutch version – French version )
CRM DemoElia provides a demo environment of the IT CRM interface to the CRM candidates to facilitate the preparation of the CRM operational processes. The demo focuses on two key processes: the prequalification file submission phase and the bid submission phase of an auction. Elia reminds that these two processes are part of a whole sequence, described in the CRM Functioning Rules, which a CRM candidate needs to follow to participate successfully to the CRM auction .
Demo Application Form
To get access to the CRM demo environments, the CRM candidate first has to complete the demo application form. Elia will approve the application form and each user created during the application phase receives a user ID and password. This user ID and password allow the users to access both the Prequalification Process Platform and Auction platform in the demo environment. A user manual on how to create a demo account is provided below.
Demo Prequalification Process PlatformIn the demo Prequalification Process Platform, the CRM candidate gets an overview of the Prequalification file submission Process for a Capacity Market Unit (CMU). Elia provides a dedicated user manual of the demo Prequalification Platform.
Demo Auction PlatformThe Auction Platform in the demo environment gives the CRM candidate the opportunity to get familiar with the bid submission process of a CRM Auction. The CMU Portfolio configuration process for the demo environment differs from the production environment. A description of the process, including the CRM Auction Demo Portfolio Configuration Form (.xlsx), is available below.
Federal Grid Code
In order to guarantee the necessary level of competition between new generation projects, Elia identifies the need to modify some articles related to the connection process as currently described in the Federal Grid Code. This note explains the general principles behind the proposal and the proposed modifications.
Survey – June 2019
The topics of “strike and reference price” and “Pay-as-Bid versus Pay-as-Cleared” were discussed several times in the TF CRM meetings. For each topic different options were proposed and extensively discussed. During the TF CRM of 13 June 2019 it was requested to the stakeholders to state their preference related to these two topics.
The received answers are :