06 January 2023
Belgium’s 2022 electricity mix: the increase in renewable energy and availability of nuclear power plants kept exports high
- The production of wind and solar energy continued to increase, leading to many new records being broken;
- An all-time high of combined wind and solar energy production was reached on 11 May 2022 (7112 MW);
- Nuclear power production made up 47.3% of Belgium’s electricity production mix and 26.9% of its gas-fired production;
- Belgium was, once again, a net exporter of electricity;
- Electricity consumption fell by 3.3% compared with 2021;
- The average annual price per MWh on the day-ahead market reached historic highs (€245/MWh).