Elia starts repairing road surface of Maalse Steenweg (N9)
Elia, the operator of Belgium's high-voltage grid, recently laid underground cables (36 kV) between Bruges and Sijsele with a view to ensuring security of supply for the Bruges area.
New asphalt coating for Maalse Steenweg
Between Thursday, 8 July and Friday, 16 July 2021, a contractor will perform repairs on Maalse Steenweg (N9) (central reservation and lane for traffic heading towards Bruges) between Engelendalelaan in Bruges and Vossenberg in Damme. A new top coating of asphalt will also be laid. The work will take place in two phases:
- On Thursday, 8 July and Friday, 9 July 2021, the contractor will carry out milling work, removing the existing surface layer of asphalt from the central reservation and the lane for Bruges-bound traffic.
- From Monday, 12 July up to and including Friday, 16 July 2021, the contractor will work on asphalting the road, covering the existing underlayer with a new top coating of asphalt for the central reservation and the lane for traffic heading towards Bruges.
Temporary change in traffic rules
The traffic rules will change during the work:
- No traffic will be able to use the part of Maalse Steenweg where the work is taking place. Through traffic heading towards Bruges will be diverted via Stationsstraat, Sijseelsesteenweg, Moerkerkse Steenweg and Doornhut.
- There will be no disruption to through traffic heading towards Sijsele via Maalse Steenweg between Vossenberg and Engelendalelaan. Work will only be carried out on the central reservation and the lane for Bruges-bound traffic.
- Inside the worksite zone, driveways and entrances/exits on the side of the road with even-numbered addresses (along the lane for traffic heading towards Bruges) will be temporarily inaccessible during the work. Local residents are asked to park their cars outside the worksite zone.