High-voltage substation Wetteren
Modernisation and adaptation of high-voltage substation Wetteren
Benefits to societyElia is installing new electrical installations at various high-voltage substations in the region around Ghent, including the high-voltage substation in Wetteren. These works are necessary to prepare the electricity grid around Ghent for the future. With the energy transition, higher electricity consumption is expected in the region. For example, because of the increase in the number of electric cars, the use of heat pumps and the electrification of businesses. It is necessary to adapt the high-voltage substations in the region to meet the needs of the future. In this way, Elia will be able to continue to guarantee the region’s energy supply in the future.
Elia is going to carry out the following activities:
- Demolition of the existing buildings
- Construction of a new GIS installation
A GIS high-voltage substation is a closed building with switching equipment and uses SF6 gas to insulate the components. It also takes up less space than an AIS installation. More information on GIS installations can be found in the brochure “What is a high-voltage substation?” under documents.
- Replacement of the medium-voltage substation
These works are part of the Ghent East project (Gent Oost).
Elia is always mindful of the local area when carrying out work. The high-voltage system operator takes a range of measures intended to mitigate disruption and impact on the surrounding area.
- Work will only take place during the day, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Elia guarantees that homes and businesses will always be accessible during the works.
- If local residents are set to experience a temporary increase in disruption for a specific reason, Elia or its subcontractor(s) will always individually notify those affected.
- If normal traffic has to be diverted, the diversions will be agreed with the road authority and clearly communicated to local residents.
- Once work is complete, the land is always restored to its original state.
- Spring 2023: submission of environmental permit application
- Autumn 2023: information market
- Autumn 2024: start of works
- End of 2027: end of works
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.