Sint-Amandsberg - Wetteren
Construction of new underground electricity connections (36 kV) between the high-voltage substations of Sint-Amandsberg and Wetteren.
Benefits to societyElia is installing new underground electricity connections (36 kV) between the high-voltage substations of Sint-Amandsberg and Wetteren. The existing underground electricity connections are at the end of their service life and are being replaced. In this way, Elia will be able to continue to guarantee energy supply in the future.
These works are part of the Ghent East project (Gent Oost). With this project, Elia is preparing the electricity grid around Ghent for the future by means of restructuring works.
The underground electricity connections (36 kV) are being installed between the high-voltage substations of Sint-Amandsberg and Wetteren. The works will be carried out in three phases:
Elia is always mindful of the local area when carrying out work. The high-voltage system operator takes a range of measures intended to mitigate disruption and impact on the surrounding area.
- Work will only take place during the day, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Elia guarantees that homes and businesses will always be accessible during the works.
- If local residents are set to experience a temporary increase in disruption for a specific reason, Elia or its subcontractor(s) will always individually notify those affected.
- If normal traffic has to be diverted, the diversions will be agreed with the road authority and clearly communicated to local residents.
- Once work is complete, the land is always restored to its original state.
The construction of the underground electricity connections between the high-voltage substations of Sint-Amandsberg and Wetteren takes place in three phases.
Phase 1: High-voltage substation Sint-Amandsberg to high-voltage substation Flora
- Autumn 2023: submission of environmental permit application
- Autumn 2023: information market
- Spring 2024: start of works
- Autumn 2025: end of works
Phase 2: High-voltage substation Flora to high-voltage substation Kwatrecht
- November 2023: submission of environmental permit application
- September 2024: start of works
- July 2025: end of works
Phase 3: High-voltage substation Kwatrecht to high-voltage substation Wetteren
- August 2025: start of works
- March 2026: end of works
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.