Public consultation on the methodology for the dimensioning of the aFRR needs
Elia launches a public consultation on its study of the possible advantages and disadvantages of a new dimensioning methodology of its aFRR reserve capacity. This study includes:
- an analysis of methodologies that could be applied for dimensioning the aFRR needs;
- a recommendation on one of these methodologies to be tested in a proof of concept
Following this consultation, the proof of concept for the chosen methodology will be executed. The results of this proof of concept will be published by Elia in Q4 2020
In line with Article 157 of the Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1485 of 2 August 2017 establishing a guideline on electricity transmission system operation, Elia shall determine for its LFC block the ratio of automatic FRR (aFRR) and manual FRR (mFRR). While the methodology currently in place meets all legal requirements, Elia investigates possibilities to replace or improve the current dimensioning methodology for the aFRR needs and proposes a methodology to be further investigated in a proof of concept. The study is based on an exhaustive analysis of methodology design options. These options have to be:
- implementable from a practical point of view (in terms of transparency and complexity),
- compliant with European legislation,
- robust towards future power system evolutions (including incremental renewable capacity and HVDC interconnections), and
- able to meet minimum technical criteria and maintain reliability of the system.
Elia invites the stakeholders to provide comments and suggestions on the consulted document via the online form below during the consultation period from Tuesday June 2, 2020 to Thursday July 2, 2020.