Elia records and checks the exchanges of energy on its grid every quarter of an hour. They are measured by meters that are installed and managed by Elia.
Elia's high-voltage grid is fitted with metering devices that are used to record and check data about energy flows at our grid connections and interconnections, enabling Elia to ensure the technical and economic management of the transmission of energy. The energy measurements comply with Belgian legislation and are taken at 15-minute intervals.
Elia has proven experience in meter management, the provision of metering and measurement data, and data aggregation and communication.
Elia also uses the metering data it gathers and processes to provide a range of metering services, which fall into two categories: standard metering services and additional metering services.
Standard metering services
Elia uses appropriate protocols to provide market players (BRPs, access holders, energy suppliers and, on request, network users) with the standard metering data required by law free of charge.
Additional Metering Services
- Monthly provision of validated metering data
- Daily provision of non-validated metering data
- Near real-time provision of metering data
- Real-time provision of remote measurement
- Supply of metering pulses (only for Grid Users)
- Installation and Management of additional meters
- Data Exchange support for CDS Operators
Access to metering messages
Metering Data related to Access Points is made available on eVMS and EPIC to the relevant market parties.
- The Grid user receives the calculated metering data for all of his access points (Net Compensated Offtake and Injection + Gross Consumption and Production). On top of this, the Grid user is entitled to the metering data from all the meters that are installed on its connection points, production units and any other meters that might be installed within his installations (submeters and additional commercial meters).
- The Access Contract Holder, Supplier and Balance Responsible Party only received the metering data related to invoices that is relevant to them, that is the Access Point Net Compensated Offtake and/or Injection.
- Producers receive the Access Point Compensated Injection* as well as the metering data related to their production units.
NB: EPIC currently only has the metering of the Grid Users, but it will be extended to allow other market players to also access their metering data.
The metering data that Elia obtains from its meters are aggregated, processed and shared with market players in messages. If you wish to access these metering messages, check the following pages:
Installation procedure & Request access to metering messages
Elia uses appropriate protocols to provide market players with metering data.
If you would like more information about the installation and access procedure, click on the link below:
EPIC (Elia portal interface for customer)
A single application bringing together the majority of applications available within Elia (metering, invoices, contracts, ...) - EPIC is available for each company connected to the Elia grid. Do not hesitate to request an access via our support center.
For the moment, EPIC is only available for the Grid User.
Useful technical documents
- Metering Manual Concept - English Version
- Metering Manual All Market Parties (excl. DGO and CDS) - English Version
- Metering Manual DGO and CMS - English Version
- Metering Manual CDS - English Version
- List of EANs of active Distribution System Operators – in English
- List of EANs of Closed Distribution Systems (CDSs) – in English