Dismantling high-voltage lines, upgrading high-voltage substations and laying an underground cable connection in the Schelle-Malderen-Mechelen area.
Security of supply in the Schelle-Malderen-Mechelen area
From 2017 to 2022, Elia will be working on four sub-projects in the area around Schelle, Malderen and Mechelen: dismantling the 70 kV overhead line between Schelle and Mechelen, upgrading the high-voltage substations in Schelle, Malderen and Tisselt, laying a 150 kV underground cable connection between Malderen and Mechelen, and dismantling the 70 kV overhead line between Malderen and Mechelen. By carrying out this work, Elia is guaranteeing security of supply in the Schelle-Malderen-Mechelen area.
In the interest of society
Work on the high-voltage grid in the Schelle-Malderen-Mechelen area is necessary for three reasons:
- Two 70 kV lines have reached the end of their service lives
The 70 kV line between Schelle and Mechelen is almost a century old and the 70 kV line between Malderen and Mechelen dates from 1932.
- New 150 kV cable to ensure security of supply
A new 150 kV underground cable connection between Malderen and Mechelen will replace the 70 kV overhead line between Malderen and Mechelen. Since the new cable’s voltage level is higher, it will guarantee security of supply in the future too.
- Work on the high-voltage substations to make grid upgrades possible
The high-voltage substations in Schelle, Malderen and Tisselt need to be upgraded to improve electricity transmission in the Mechelen area.
- Dismantling of the 70 kV Schelle-Mechelen overhead line
In 2017, the 16-kilometre overhead line through Schelle, Niel, Aartselaar, Rumst and Mechelen was dismantled and a total of 82 pylons were demolished. The line passed through the municipalities of Schelle, Niel, Aartselaar, Rumst and Mechelen.
- Upgrade of three 70 kV high-voltage substations in Schelle, Malderen and Tisselt
This work will take place in Schelle, Malderen and Tisselt was completed in 2020.
- Laying of the new 150 kV Malderen-Tisselt-Mechelen cable
This new 150 kV underground cable will pass through the municipalities of Londerzeel, Willebroek, Puurs, Kapelle-op-den-Bos and Mechelen. However, the connection will continue to take the form of an overhead line between Leest and Mechelen. Elia is building a transition pylon in Leest to connect the underground cable with the overhead line. The new underground high-voltage connection was commissioned in autumn 2020.
- Dismantling of the 70 kV Malderen-Mechelen overhead line
This line also passes through Londerzeel, Willebroek, Kapelle-op-den-Bos and Mechelen. The pylons will start to be dismantled in March 2021. More information can be found in the 'Schedule' section.
Even as early on as the design and study phase for a project’s route and implementation method, Elia thinks about how the project will affect people, the environment and the local area. With this in mind, a number of nuisance limitation measures have been put in place for the Schelle-Malderen-Mechelen project.
- Elia is committed to minimising the duration of the work and the amount of space affected (work areas).
- After work is completed, the land is always restored to its original state on the basis of a survey.
- Elia only carries out work during the day, so no depots or sites are lit up at night.
- Elia agrees specific access routes with the municipal authorities and the local police with a view to spreading out and limiting site traffic.
- If local residents are set to experience a temporary increase in disruption for a specific reason, Elia or its subcontractors always send out individual letters to those affected to notify them.
- If normal traffic has to be diverted, the diversions are agreed with the road authority (the municipality or the Flemish Region) and clearly communicated to local residents.
- Elia keeps local residents informed of the project schedule and upcoming phases by publishing a digital newsletter and posting the latest information on its website.
Sub-project 1: Sub-project 1: dismantling of 70-kV overhead line between Schelle and Mechelen
- Started in spring 2017
- Completed in March 2019
Sub-project 2: upgrading of three 70-kV high-voltage substations in Schelle, Malderen and Tisselt
- Started in spring 2017
- Completed in mid-2020
Sub-project 3: laying of a 150-kV underground cable connection between Malderen, Tisselt and Mechelen
- Started in March 2019
- Completed in autumn 2020
- Subsequent road repairs by the municipality: March 2021
Sub-project 4: dismantling of 70-kV overhead line between Malderen and Mechelen
The line will be dismantled in two phases:
Removal of the conductors:
- Scheduled start date for this phase: spring 2021
- Duration of the work: 7 months
Dismantling of the pylons and foundations:
- Scheduled start date for this phase: spring 2022
- Duration of the work: 12 months
27 April 2022
Dismantling of high-voltage pylons between Malderen and Mechelen
Elia started dismantling high-voltage pylons between Malderen and Mechelen in the spring of 2022. The electricity wires were already removed in 2021. The high-voltage line has reached the end of its service life. The completion of the works is planned towards the end of 2022.
07 June 2021
A12 closed during the night between Saturday 12 June to Sunday 13 June for dismantling of high-voltage line
Elia plans to dismantle a 70-kV high-voltage line running through Londerzeel, Willebroek and Kapelle-op-den-Bos. The line has reached the end of its service life and has been decommissioned.
If you are affected by a project and want to ask us something, please feel free to contact us.
Our team would be happy to help.